Thursday, September 16, 2010

New A1C

I went to my endo yesterday to check on the A1C and I was very happy to get a 5.6! My endo was pleased with that number, and is happy with how things are progressing overall. He warned me that my numbers are likely to start going up soon, as will my insulin needs, so he doesn’t want me to get freaked out by that. I asked how the high blood sugars that I’m likely to experience will affect Baby B and he explained that since I’ve already made it through the first trimester with a great A1C, Baby B doesn’t have any higher risk for birth defects than any other child born to a “normal” mother because the major organs are done forming (which, as an aside, is astounding to me!). He said the main concern about high blood sugars throughout the rest of the pregnancy is the size of the baby. If my numbers run high for long periods of time, the baby is likely to be large, which may lead to complications. He also said that even if my blood sugars are perfect, the baby could still be big, due to pure and simple genetics, so he said I just need to keep doing what I’m doing, and we’ll deal with anything that may come up later in the pregnancy as it happens.

During our meeting, I told my endo how Dex and I are not getting along, and he laughed and told me to just forget it. He said he can count on one hand the number of his patients who end up sticking with a CGM because most get frustrated with the fact that they just aren’t that accurate. I didn’t see any benefit to me or my numbers when using Dex, so I’ve decided to stop for now. I may still use it every now and again for a few days here and there, but to have it on everyday seems like a waste to me since I end up ignoring it half the time anyway because I’m so used to it being wrong. I also find that I test more often when I’m not wearing Dex, so I think for me, it’s better to just give it up for now. We’ll see if I change my mind again later…

Speaking of change, I have a new post up on the ACT1 site today—check it out if you have some time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Annie! Congrats on your fantastic A1c! I'm sorry the CGM didn't work out. I am addicted to mine. :) When do you find out the sex? (are you finding out?) I find out (hopefully) on October 14th. They want me to wait until 19 weeks so it will be more accurate. Can't wait! :) I've only had one ultrasound at 7 weeks and this will be my second. I thought most diabetics had more, how many have you had?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great A1C!! Congrats!! And congrats again on making through your first trimester. It just gets more and more exciting from here on out!

    I totally agree with you about the Dex. It's interesting to wear it every now and then and helpful when I need to tweak my basals and want to get accurate trends but it gets on my nerves too much to do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW!! That is one impressive A1c!!

    ReplyDelete