Monday, September 13, 2010

2nd Trimester!

I can’t believe we’ve made it to the second trimester. Looking back, it seems like it has gone fast, although I keenly remember feeling the days drag on in the beginning. I’ve still been battling “morning” sickness—I keep hoping any day now that will get better. Some days I feel fine and then other days, like today, it’s just a train wreck! I’ve lost about 7 pounds since the beginning of my pregnancy, so now hopefully I’ll start to even out and eventually start gaining as the pregnancy goes on (who would have thought I’d ever be concerned about losing weight!).

Since my scare a few weeks ago, my blood sugar has been behaving. I did get a CGM, as I wrote about before, but am completely unimpressed. I have an endo apt. on Wednesday and may ask about removing it because I haven’t seen any real benefits. It will be interesting to see what my A1C will be. My doctor thinks it will be even lower than 5.7 last time, which he constantly reminds me is not necessarily a good thing if it means I’m going low all the time. I think he doesn’t know what to do with me sometimes, he keeps saying he’s not used to having to harp on people to run a little higher. But, he’s been wonderful and I am so glad I found him in time for this pregnancy. He is on email, which is really convenient, and he will also call from time to time just to check in, even though I also work closely with a CDE in his office on a weekly basis.

Aside from all of the diabetes and pregnancy stuff, I have been able to enjoy the process more than I thought I would. I’m less crazed about my blood sugar than I thought I would be, although I’m sure my doctor wouldn’t necessarily say I’m easy going about it. I have had some highs and just get them down as quickly as I can. I don’t see the point in getting hysterical about it.

So far, besides the few scares that we’ve had and the nausea that I’ve experienced, I’ve loved being pregnant. It’s been such an exciting time, full of new experiences, ideas, questions, fears, feelings and priorities. I’m amazed at what is going on inside my body, and am in awe of what we as women are capable of in this process. Being pregnant makes me appreciate everything I’ve had even more that I did before. It makes me realize how lucky I am to have a wonderful husband, great friends, supportive family and the means by which we’ll be able to care for our son or daughter. I see things so differently now, that it almost seems like I’m living in a brand new world.

I can’t wait for so many things that will happen in the next few months, but I’m most excited for when I’ll be able to feel Baby B. kick for the first time. I’ve still get several weeks to go before that happens, so for now, all I can do is try to imagine what it will feel like. I am also way more excited than I should be for maternity clothes! I just think there are such cute clothes out there now and that the pants will be SO comfy. I’m still in my regular clothes for now, but we’ll see how long that lasts. Can’t wait to see what else this next trimester will bring!

3 comments:

  1. So excited for you! Can't wait to see what we both are having. :) Also can't wait to feel that first baby movement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Annie! (I snuck around and found your blog!). Jillion Weisberg once told me... "Before having children, is like living life through a 12 inch b&w TV... after kids... its like a 60 inch, plasma, 3D!!" I agree with her, so very true!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Time goes sooo fast!! I hope you have an easy second half...and Baby B will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete