Monday, April 26, 2010

all work, no play

Last week I had the opportunity to hear Cheryl Alkon speak about her new book, Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes. The event was organized by ACT1, a great organization here in NYC that supports adults with type 1. In so many ways, it was a wonderful, eye opening and reassuring event for me to attend. Not only did Cheryl share her story, but there were many other type 1 mommies in the room who were kind enough to share their experiences as well. I’ve never personally known a woman with type 1 who has been through pregnancy, so to hear all of them talk about their experiences was really empowering—after all, these were real live women who had lived thought it and been blessed with healthy children.

While I left the event feeling more convinced than ever that I am prepared and can handle this journey, I had asked a question, well, several questions, but one of the answers really stuck with me. I’ve done a lot of research on what my diabetic pregnancy will be like, and I’m aware of all the work that will go into it, but what I wanted to know was whether any of these women were able to remove themselves from all of the checking, the tests, the doctors appointments, and the meal planning long enough to ever just enjoy being pregnant. To enjoy thinking about the life that they were creating, and the adventure they were about to begin. So often you read about pregnancy being a magical time for women, and I wanted to know if diabetic mothers were ever able to take time to just enjoy the ride.

Cheryl thought for a moment after I asked my question, and basically said, a short and simple “not really.” The other women in the group agreed and shared that it was all just way too much work to really be able to enjoy it (although they all unanimously agreed that it was well worth it in the end!). Many of the women shared that during their pregnancies, they tested 12 times a day (which if you think about it is every two hours—more like every hour if you cut out some time for sleep). They talked about going to the myriad doctors appointments that were necessary and subjecting themselves to the many tests that are performed throughout the pregnancy to make sure mom and baby are both progressing as planned (my jaw dropped when they talked about the 24 hour urine test and schlepping a bucket of urine on the subway—I’ll be in a cab that day, thank you very much). One woman I spoke to after the event even said that if she could have, she would have quit her job during the pregnancy because it is like having two full time jobs.

I wasn’t necessarily surprised to hear all the stories about the difficulties and challenges of the pregnancy, but I was a bit surprised that there was such a unanimous response to my question. I hope that even if it’s only for a few minutes here and there, I can enjoy my pregnancy (so to my friends/family who are reading this, you may have to remind me to do so!).  I know I’m in for a lot of work, and I certainly know that it will all pay off, but I hope too that I can step back from all of it long enough, even if for only an hour in between tests, to enjoy the miracle that will be growing inside of me.

By the way, I haven’t read Cheryl’s book yet, but can’t wait to get through it. I’ve heard great things and some of the excerpts that she read last week were great!

6 comments:

  1. It is a full time job - and I'm glad those women were honest with you :) I remember a T1 friend getting pg and being astounded at how many doctors visits she had. She was basing her assumptions of care on her non T1 friends. Hehe. I have to laugh. But the bonus at the end really does help you to forget just how much work it is :) It's a magical time for everyone involved, including the docs, when someone who've they've worked so closely with for so long comes out the other end with a beautiful little new person in their arms. Cluck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone I know has never shied away from very hard work...you can do this....someone I know always supports her family & friends and keeps them very close...they will remind you ...someone I know always seeks out information so as to be informed as possible....how fortunate there are so many wonderful women willing to share their experiences with you...some day you will continue the chain...someone I know has always seen the joy in life...even amidst the sorrows...you are already jubilant in anticipation..there are more moments ahead..I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been so awesome to see these women and to hear their tales. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

    I would have to agree that the journey through a diabetic pregnancy is hard. Now that I am in the 31st week, the appointments are even more frequent. Add to that the standard third trimester fatigue and I am struggling to keep my eyes open at work everyday.

    I was just thinking this morning that if I had this all to do over again (and money was not an issue,) I would drop back to part time hours in my job during pregnancy.

    But I am keeping my eye on the prize, and even though I've not made it there yet, I think that it's going to be worth it.

    It reassures me to know that I'm not the only one struggling to balance it all, and that the others agree that the end is so worth the means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie--thanks for blogging about this, and I should mention that one woman in the audience, the woman who came with her son (and gives her own insight in my book--it was Betsy Matabanadzo, if anyone is following along), DID mention that she enjoyed her pregnancy, particularly in the second trimester, when blood sugars tend to even out more.

    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a "pregnancy-is-magical" sort of person, and I suspect that I'd be that way even if I weren't living with diabetes. I think it's more about knowing the potential for things that might go wrong, rather than dealing with the appointments, the blood tests, the changing insulin requirements, and so on. I can get technically get used to all that. It's the fear of not knowing how everything will turn out until it's all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not even worried for a minute that you won't enjoy your pregnancy, missy. Of course there will be lots of hard work involved, but you're NOT like everyone else. You and Rory want this so badly, and you won't forget that once the time is here. And besides, you'll be the FIRST ONE of us to be pregs! So our excitement will be contagious, trust me :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to following your blog- as I too am Type 1 Diabetic planning my first pregnancy. I feel so lucky that Cheryl's book came out at the perfect time for me- like it's meant to be! Thanks for being so open- I hope to get like that on my blog soon!

    ReplyDelete