Friday, October 22, 2010

On the rise

Well, I think my days of picture perfect log books are going out the window. My numbers have been creeping up slightly over the past two weeks or so, but the past two days I feel like I’ve seen more 200’s than I have in the past four months combined. This is very difficult to see, and although I get them down right away, they seem to go right back up. It feels like I’m playing that carnival game where the little mole pops up, then you hit it with the hammer, and another one pops up.

I sent my logs to my diabetes educator today and she’s out of the office, but I’ve raised my basals over the weekend until I can talk to her on Monday. I hate the highs more than anything. I’d much rather be low, which I know is also not good for me, but I feel like it’s better for the baby. Hopefully I can find a happy medium, because this dazed feeling I’ve had yesterday and today is not going to cut it. I hate being high for what it does to me, but it terrifies me to think what effect it’s having on the baby. I know it’s my overall control that matters most, and not the bad day here or there, but it’s just scary to think that what’s going on in my body influences the overall health of my child.

Ok, mini panic attack over. I’ve done what I can to correct it for now, and will keep working on it in the coming weeks. I really enjoyed the calm while it lasted!

4 comments:

  1. Oh! How I can relate!! My always-pretty numbers are long gone. I'm doing my best to keep my chin up since my overall control is still good. Good luck with everything and try not to be to hard on yourself! (Easier said than done, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think mine may be starting to rise too. It's so hard to tell what's what. With the hormones, stress, site changes, different foods...too many factors to try to figure out! :) Good luck to you! Let's both try not to be so hard on ourselves. :) As Layne said, so much easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Lindsay, I totally agree, hard to figure out exactly what the cause is, but I'm not happy about it, and just feel gross in general when I'm high so that doesn't help. Will try to go easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there - you don't know me. =) But, somewhere along the way, I found your blog. I am at 33 weeks this week (Type 1, first baby)...so I can relate to all that you've gone through so far! And, I can also say, that you are right at the spot where I had to increase my basal rates by 30%...and that was without much warning ahead of time...just a couple of days of high 100's and 200's. Don't worry much at this point! My A1C during 2nd trimester was 5.7. It's since rose a bit to 6.0 (I'm still happy with that though, because it only gets harder as you approach 3rd trimester!). But, that said, just keep on, keeping on...it sounds like you have done SO much to take care of your baby already! Which is the best part since you are through the 1st trimester when all that stuff counts so much with organ development, etc. From here on out, you may just pad a little fat here or there on your little one. =) I found out yesterday that my baby girl is a little big...but truly, I've done so much to take care of her - so it's all God's work and I just have to admire His work! =) Anyway, I'm rambling now...good luck and you have done great so far!

    Dani

    Oh...and if you want to check out my blog (for maybe a little insight on what's to come...I know I loved reading others that had gone before me!), it's www.anothermariniscoming.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete