Monday, November 1, 2010

Officially over the hump!

I'm 21 weeks as of yesterday, which officially means I'm more than half way through this pregnancy.  In some ways, it feels like its been eons since I first saw the word "pregnant" pop up on my digital home pregnancy test, and in other ways, I feel like it just happened this morning.  Although I've been through a lot already during this pregnancy, I still feel that hasn't been as intensive as I thought it would be (yet!). 

Although changes have definitely been taking place in and on my body, I still sometimes don't feel pregnant.  It's hard to explain, but I still feel like me, and sometimes I do forget that I'm growing another human being inside of me. I have, however, become much more relaxed about life in general since getting pregnant, which is the complete opposite of what I thought would happen.  But, nothing in the world seems that important right now, other than my health and the health of my child.

This week I started to put on my very first few pregnancy pounds.  It's taken me a while to put on weight since I lost weight from being so sick the first trimester, but I'm afraid they're going to pile on quickly, so I need to be careful and focus on eating better now that my stomach is (mostly) cooperating again.  I must admit, it's a bit unnerving to look at the scale going up and to think that's a good thing when I've fought my weight for most of my teenage/adult life, but I know that's what is supposed to happen.

I'm still waiting for Baby B to give me a good swift kick, but I do think I am starting to feel the baby rummage around in there.  Sometimes my stomach gets hard, which I've been told are Braxton Hicks contractions, and it's incredible to think that my body is reacting to the other person I'm carrying.  We know that Baby B can hear us now, and I laugh hysterically every time my husband talks to the baby, because he's convinced he needs to scream in order to get through my stomach and into the baby's ears.

In terms of diabetes, my numbers have calmed down a bit since I raised my basals last week.  I'm still seeing some more highs than I like, but it's much better than it was.  I'm already getting nervous for my next A1C in December, but I'm doing the best I can.

On the pregnancy itinerary for this week is a fetal echo cardiogram where they'll get an up and close and personal view of Baby B's heart to make sure everything is in working order.  I'm just excited that it means we'll get to see the baby again!

And most importantly, today is my husband's birthday, so I'm very much looking forward to a great bday dinner with him - his last one as a non-parent!

3 comments:

  1. so glad that you are doing great and enjoying this experience! I'm 15 weeks along and I have my level 11 ultrasound november 24th. I am so excited to see the baby, but also very nervous about what we might see. I hope everything goes great with you! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about the utter happiness and relaxation that happens during pregnancy. I feel like most people make it sound like it's a miserable, emotional experience. And while there have been lots of emotions, most of them (for me) have been wonderful!! Hope, excitement, anticipation. . . I have just been so happy since I found out I was pregnant!! And you are right about how everything else in life, especially the bad stuff just seems so, I don't know . . . trivial?

    And, don't worry, I didn't feel pregnant either for the longest time. Once the belly comes and you feel all that movement, though, you just can't deny it any more. The weirdest thing is when the baby can move around so much and distort your belly so that you can see it from the outside. My husband likes to reference the "Aliens" movies when she does that because it's almost like she's trying to climb out right of my belly! It's so bizarre but also so awesome! ;-)

    Congrats on making it half way through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it over the hump! I'm glad to hear you are feeling well!!

    ReplyDelete