Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thinking positive thoughts...

First, I want to say thank you to everyone who left such sweet notes of congratulations on my last post.  I  truly appreciate all of your kind works!

I've been avoiding writing since then because after our initial excitement, we got a little bit of scary, although not necessarily bad, news.  We went for the first ultrasound last week and all they saw was an empty gestational sac.  Since by my calculations I thought I was 6.5 weeks at the time, this was an upsetting image to see.  We thought by this time we might have had a shot at seeing the heartbeat.  The doctor explained that I could very likely just be earlier than I thought, which would explain why my HCG levels were also low when first tested, although there is a chance that the reason we only saw the gestation sac could be because the pregnancy may not be viable.  Luckily, my HCG number continues to rise, so that is a good sign!  But, the first time I explained what happened out loud to my dad, I couldn't help but cry.  It was hard to talk about it out loud to anyone, and that night when my husband got home from work, I melted into a puddle of helpless tears.

I will go back late next week for another ultrasound, so until then, all we can do it wait, and think positive thoughts.  My husband and I have such wonderful family and close friends who are all praying and thinking positively, so Baby B. has a lot of people pulling for him/her!

It's been an emotional roller coaster since the ultrasound.  At first, I was so teary and couldn't think about anything else.  We were so lucky to get pregnant so quickly, that I suppose a little waiting won't kill us--although I must say, I'm not sure I've ever felt such insatiable stress in my life.  I already love this baby so much, that it's devastating to imagine what it will mean if the pregnancy isn't viable. I hope and pray that I won't need to go down that path, and for now, I am just trying to take care of myself as best I can.

During this horrible wait, I must say that the online community has been such a valuable tool.  Sites like Diabetic MommyThe Bump and Baby Center are all full of other women who are always willing to share their stories and advice.  I cling to every story I hear of women who have been through similar situations and turned out to have healthy pregnancies (I also value the non-success stories because they help me manage my expectations, even though they are difficult to read). It makes me feel very lucky to be going through this pregnancy at a time when there is so much information available almost instantaneously, and the women on these sites have helped me to have a much more positive outlook this week!

So fingers crossed, everyone, and I'll be sure to keep you updated!

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of you, hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, Annie, I'm so, SO sorry. I also had something scary happen to me at 6 weeks (I should probably blog about it, huh?) and I was terrified! It didn't matter that the baby was just a tiny cluster of cells, it was OUR tiny cluster of cells and I loved it and wanted DESPERATELY for it to be okay!

    I'm praying for good news for you, your hubby and the little one. Good luck, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was a few weeks further along at the time than I was, so was surprised too - a scan a few weeks later reassured us - I'm sure you're all ok :) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    You've got a very nice blog. To turn out to be a productive human being the essential factor should be to have positive thinking. Enjoy Sky Rocketing Achievements with Turbo charged Positive Affirmations... Create Positive Thinking So It is possible to Eliminate Strain From the Life, Boost Your Self-Confidence and Plan Yourself For Lifetime Good results!

    ReplyDelete