Monday, December 20, 2010

3rd Trimester!

Now that I’m officially in my third trimester, I beginning to really look and feel pregnant. I’m walking around like the stereotypical pregnant woman with her back arched and stomach sticking out, rolling out of bed in the morning instead of sitting up first, and rubbing my belly all the time. I’ve also taken to talking to/singing to Baby B. all the time, and I love feeling the baby move more and more all the time. I sometimes have to pray that the baby won’t kick when I’m on a crowded subway car for fear of the person I’m pushed up against thinking it’s me doing the kicking/pushing.

While it’s all very fun and exciting, I am beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable as my bump gets bigger. I’ve started to feel really uncomfortable for a couple of days, and then I guess when my belly has stretched a bit, I go back to being comfortable. Speaking of stretching, I don’t yet have any real pronounced stretch marks, but I fear their arrival every day. I just don’t see how all this stretching won’t result in marks, but so far, I haven’t put on too much weight too quickly, so I think that is helping. I’m going to try to be really careful about my eating over the holidays, which will be hard, but I think ultimately will be worth it (both for weight gain and for blood sugar control).

My blood sugars are doing OK, not great. I’ve still been running higher than I like sometimes, and then I go overboard with the bolusing and end up low. I’m trying to find the happy medium, and again, better eating will help with this. I’m going through insulin much more quickly now that I’m taking more both for my basal rates and my insulin to carb ratio. I can only imagine how much I’ll be taking by the end of the pregnancy.

We have our next ultra scan scheduled for January 3rd and I really can’t wait for that. They’ll measure the baby’s growth, so I’m a little nervous to see how that goes, but I’m excited to see Baby B. again because it feels like it’s been forever since our last scan in October. The ultrasounds are by far my favorite pregnancy experience. I’m hoping that my higher numbers, even though my A1C is still fairly low, won’t result in the baby being bigger than it should be at this point.

We’re off to California later this week to visit with my in-laws and will be there for a week. I'm worried about the eating situation since we'll be bouncing around to and from various family members' holiday celebrations, but I'll just have to do the best I can.

3 comments:

  1. No worries about the stretch marks! Sounds like you've been blessed with good genes! I say that because I haven't gotten any either and it turns out my mom didn't get them when she was pregnant. So it IS possible! I'm crossing my fingers for a couple more weeks but sounds like we may be in the clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, my latest birth post probably didn't help with your fear of a bigger baby at your next scan, eh? =) Just know that you won't care at all in the end of it all. Although, the three push thing would be really nice, wouldn't it? =)

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...and one more thing. I was a nine pound baby and so was my hubby - so hopefully you have genetics on your side, because really, I think that's what made Avery the weight she was more than my blood sugars!

    ReplyDelete