Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Italy, here we come!

I'm getting very exited to leave next week for a two week trip to Italy!!! Neither my husband or I have been, and since we haven't really been away just the two of us since our honeymoon, we can't wait to get away for such a long time together. Plus, neither of us have been to Italy, so we've got a lot to do and see. We're starting in Venice, then Florence, Rome and finally, Positano.

I casually mentioned to my CDE that I'm going away so won't be able to send in my logs to her for a little while, and she asked me if I needed any tips on traveling in terms of my diabetes care which I really hadn't thought about. Whoops! She offered to write me a letter saying I need to travel with my insulin and pump, and is going to give me some tips on adjusting my basals over the time change. I know some people get spare pumps to bring with them when traveling internationally, but I haven't done that--I'll have shots with me if I need them.

I do have plenty of extra insulin, needles, test strips, glucose tabs and pump supplies so I think I'm all set as far as that goes (no wonder I'm such a bad packer!). I'm kind of excited to go to a pharmacy, or Farmacia, in Italy just to see what it's like there (lame, I know, but such is the mind of a diabetic). I wonder if they have all the same diabetes goodies that we have here.

So, if anyone has any more travel tips, I'd love to hear them! I don't leave for another week, so I've still got a little time to get anything else I need, but not much...

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Such an exciting adventure! I went to Europe a few years ago and here are some travel tips: I would definitely order a travel pump. It's amazing and made me feel so much more secure. Minimed shipped me one overnight and I loved having it. I would also bring extra prescriptions for Insulin, testing strips and Insulin pens so if you lose your bag for whatever reason, you have the physical prescription if you need to refill it. I would also bring TONS of granola bars or another snack food you can throw in your bag at the beginning of each day, just to have.
    Have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OM Gosh that is sooooooo exciting!! :) I'm with Lesley on the granola bars. Have a wonderful week of anticipation - I hope to see lots of pics :)

    ReplyDelete