Monday, June 28, 2010

Just a headache?

I had a really bad headache the other night, and I couldn’t figure out why. I kept testing my BS, convinced that I was either high or low since I had this unexplained pain in my head. Finally, after a few normal tests, I arrived at a simple explanation—it was just a headache. As a PWD (person with diabetes), I find myself constantly patrolling my own body for any sign of something being amiss with my blood sugar, and sometimes I forget that other forces besides diabetes can also impact how I’m feeling. It’s hard to turn that line thinking off, and I’ve started wondering about how this mindset will impact a pregnancy.

I’ve spent so much time thinking about and preparing for how my diabetes is going to impact my pregnancy, that I have forgotten to take the time to really consider how the pregnancy will impact me (yes, I am separate from my diabetes, although sometimes its hard to remember that). I didn’t think, for example, that I may be sick to my stomach, regardless of what my blood sugar is. I may get hot/uncomfortable at night without being high or low. I may be utterly exhausted, even if my numbers are and have been within a perfectly healthy range. I may have food cravings that are completely independent of a low blood sugar.

In some strange way, it’s exhilarating to think that my body will be communicating with me in a whole new way that is not necessarily driven by the fact that I have this thing called diabetes. I’m excited that I’ll have the opportunity to listen to my body and evaluate what is going on without my very first thought automatically turning to the numbers on my meter (although, who am I kidding, that will still often be at least in the top 2). It will be like finally, something in my body will be stronger than the diabetes, and while pregnancy won’t always produce the most welcome symptoms, it will be nice to know that diabetes doesn’t have absolute control all the time.

5 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right! It will be nice to know that pregnancy could be the cause of all symptoms ahead and stop worrying about all the things we constantly worry about because of D. This is something I'm looking forward to too!

    Maybe you just have simple jet lag :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that too! Test and check and test my blood sugar, cos I have a headache, when it's just caused by not drinking enough water or something! :P This post made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can SO relate to this post! When I feel nauseous or yucky or headache-y I'm constantly testing my bloodsugar. And then I have to EXPLAIN to people why I'm disappointed when I get a good number. Because if the number was high or low, I could fix it and the yucky feeling would go away.

    But if the number is good and it's NOT diabetes-related, then I have to just DEAL with it! ;-) So not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Though I have to admit that even during pregancy at times I tried to explain some symptoms / blame symptoms on diabetes. But then, when I tested and the number was in range, no frustration because there is another explanation...

    ReplyDelete